Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Photography Tip: Beauty Through Mystery (Creativity Through Soft Focus)

I don't know about you, but sometimes I don't like to look at perfect photos. And as a photographer, I would have a hard time telling you what a perfect photograph is. I could tell you what I think a perfect photograph is, but I doubt that would always agree with what you would think a perfect photograph is.

For example, I think a picture with good bokeh in the background (like above) is amazing, but it almost makes my fiance sick. What one person likes, another may not. That means there are two types of photographers out there: the kind that shoot pictures that try to make other people happy, and the kind that shoot pictures to make themselves happy. I'm more of the second. Of course, when you're doing photoshoots of people, you want to make them happy. But that's a different situation entirely.

Anyway, one way I feel you can expand your creativity is by taking pictures with soft focus. You keep the picture fully out of focus, but not so much that people can't tell what it is. Here are some examples:







This technique is very easy to accomplish. All you have to do is change your lens to manual focus, then keep the frame's focus soft. It may take a few tries to get the shot you want since the focus in the viewfinder may not always match up 100% with the picture taken.

You may love the shots you just saw. If so, go take some of your own and share them on my facebook page. You may hate them. If so, then don't take any, haha.

Bonus: This was an interesting friend I found while taking pictures for this creative tip!

Not a great shot, but makes you realize, as a photographer, you always have to be on the lookout, not only for good photographs, but for your own safety too.

If you enjoyed what you just read, follow this blog, or Like my Facebook page!

Until next time.....

- Jarvis Creative 

No comments:

Post a Comment