Monday, July 15, 2013

Photography Tip: Creativity Using Streetlights and Long Exposure

One interesting (and cool!) way to expand your creativity is by using long exposures. I already did a lesson on shutter speed (You can check it out here!) and you should probably read that first. Last night my fiancee and I visited the Dreher Shoals Dam to get some exercise / peace and quiet. I also wanted to get some pictures of the sunset.


While I didn't actually see the sun (because is was hiding behind the clouds), as it set further and further I did get some beautiful landscape shots.


My favorite from that night!

 We continued to walk until it was pretty dark, so I started messing around, using lights and long exposures.
This picture was captured using a 20 second exposure with cars' headlights and tail lights on the road. You will always need a tripod or other stabilizing device for a picture with long exposure. I used a short concrete barrier by the road.
This picture was captured using a 5 second exposure. I rotated the camera while the shutter was open. The green lights are a green traffic light, the red are car tail lights.
5 second exposure again. The green is the same traffic lights as before, only much closer. The white is oncoming headlights. The orange is a security light in a parking lot we were approaching.
5 second exposure. Same security light as in the last picture, only much closer. This was a sad attempt to use the light to write my name.
5 second exposure. This picture was taken through the windshield of a car at oncoming traffic. Never attempt while driving! I sure wasn't.
5 second exposure of a distant intersection we were approaching. Notice above the red tail lights the yellow and red. That's because the light was changing as we approached.
So, as you can see, these pictures could not really be used in professional application, but they are still fun to do and can really help expand your creativity! Remember to LIKE ME ON FACEBOOK! and follow this blog! Until next time.......

- Jarvis Creative

No comments:

Post a Comment